Saturday, December 15, 2012

Tried to start the motor

Well, I got the motor all wired up and the rebuilt starter installed. Primed the gas lines and made sure that everything was tight and no leaks. All looked good. With the plugs out I verified that there was spark on both of them. Decided to spin the motor a little more before putting in the plugs to pull fuel and oil into all of the bearings. It has been a while since she ran. Then I installed the plugs and left the wires off. Starter turned the motor over nice and smooth. Installed the plugs. Moment of truth. After a little cranking she back fired again and again. Hmmm. Advanced the throttle a little. After a couple of tries and working with the joke I got a sustained run for a few seconds but then she died. Figured I was starting to make some progress though. Next time I went to start though, the starter just spun the fly wheel. Suddenly I realized my mistake !! I forgot to install the fly wheel nut !! Yes I had done some checks on the ignition system but I forgot to tighten the nut. So take it apart and sure enough the woodruff key is sheared. Decided to pack it in for the evening. Here are some photos.

My test stand and test tank.




What is left of the woodruf key after a couple of starting attempts with the fly wheel not properly tightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment