Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Trailer Rebuild

So the trailer had to be rebuilt somewhat so that the boat can be taken to a workshop. Started looking at the components and decided that the axle and spindles were ok to use, however, the leaf springs and hangars were questionable. I headed over to A&N trailer in Tulsa and found all the parts that I needed, new springs and hangars. Got the old parts off and then welded on the new hangars. Put it back together and nothing fit !! The problem is the new hangars move the springs outboard a little bit compared to the old hangars, so now the holes in the axle for the bolts in the springs don't line up. What to do? I head back to A&N and ask for a 1.5" square axle spring seat. They have nothing. They have not sold a 1.5" square axle part in years. Ok, I knew that from the first trip because they sold me 1.75" axle plates and U-Bolts. The lady behind the counter said I do have 1.75" round axle seats. We get one out and start doing some measurements and discover that it is slightly less than 1.5" wide so I turn it sideways on the axle and put it all back together. As I cranked down the U-bolts it effectively swaged the axle seat onto to the axle. Problem solved. After the axle was back on I installed new wheels and tires. The old ones were 6.00-9 which also has not been available in a long time so we put on standard 12" tires. At this point it is all back together and ready to roll. Next step is to install two new bunk boards and complete the wiring of the lights. Will I get it all done by Saturday. We hope.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Work Begins

Work has gotten started in earnest on the boat. To start with I have removed the windshield so that she will fit into the garage. The first photo shows that she just barely fits so work is going to go pretty slow.

The next series of photos shows the condition that she was in before I started working.
Port side wood work and liner. You can see that the liner is coming out as well as the wood. It should be bonded up nice and clean against right under the shelf.

Port side seat back. These fit up against the transom well. The seats clip into the metal bracket that is shown

Port side showing the seat back and the transom well. There is an upper closeout that has already been removed. The first picture shows the close out still in place.

Starboard side  showing the side where the transom well meets the finish. The steering cable has already been pulled out and is just laying across the top of the well.

Starboard looking forward showing the operating console and the forward starboard bench in the cuddy.

Port side forward. The bench has already been removed. The console was removed during a rebuild in the mid 1980s. This seemed like a good idea at the time because it opened up the floor plan, however, further investigation shows that the consoles tie the floor structure into the upper part of the cabin structure. Not being there may have allowed the structure to flex more than desired.

Looking up the center of the boat.

Looking under the port side of the transom well showing where the fuel tank used to be installed.

Looking under the starboard side of the transom well. Here you can see that the deck is rotten. It was vacuumed out.

Just forward of the starboard rear seat there was missing piece of the floor board. You can see all of the trash under the floor here.

This shows the right side liner still in place. You can just see the transom well in the upper right corner of the picture.

That documents the starting place. Over the next week I pulled out all of the floor boards, the operator console, the transom well closeouts, as well as the liner and misc other parts. The under deck foam was removed and then all of the trash was vacuumed out. There are four stringers under the deck. The tops of them are all cracked and will have to be rebuilt. The next order of business was to remove the transom cap and cut out the transom well. A Saws-all was used to cut the transom well off of the transom. Then the screw heads that hold on the transom cap were cut and the transom cap removed. On the starboard side the transom was found to be so rotten you can just stick a 10" screw driver up to its hilt in the wood
This photo shows the port side of the transom. You can see in the upper left corner of the photo where the transom is clearly crushed. The wood is discolored and is extremely soft through out.

This photo shows the starboard side of the transom. you can see the transom well sitting in the bottom of the boat.