Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Motor Spark Check

Before I go to far on this motor I have this desire to hear it run. Ok knowing I want to restore it to factory original maybe that is some what unrealistic and maybe not worth the effort, but if I am just pulling the power head vs tearing it completely down seems useful. So I pulled both plugs and went hunting for a spark. The good news is there is spark on the lower plug. There is nothing on the upper plug. Time to go find wiring diagrams because there are all kinds of wires that I don't fully understand. Found wiring diagrams at  http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Johnson. Studied them for a while and determined that my vacuum cutout switch was probably grounding the one coil. So I removed that coil wire from the vacuum switch and tried again. Still no spark. So at this point who knows. Maybe something I am missing or maybe something broken. Coil or points.

No comments:

Post a Comment